- Bank- und Kapitalmarktrecht
- Gesellschaftsrecht (M&A)
- Geistiges Eigentum
- Bank- und Finanzdienstleistungen
- Konsumgüter und Handel
- Energie und Infrastruktur
- Gesundheitswesen und medizinische Dienste
- IT und Software
- Medien, Werbung und Telekommunikation
- Öffentliche Verwaltung
- Logistik und Transport
- Dr Spangenberg is a German attorney specialising in international dispute resolution with a particular focus on litigation and arbitration and is a founding partner of Manner Spangenberg. He acts both as arbitrator and as counsel. He assists companies, individuals, and governments in navigating complex disputes, in particular international commercial and investment arbitrations. He also advises investors and governments in relation to foreign investments and public international law.
- Dr Spangenberg has significant experience as an arbitrator, including as chairman/president, sole arbitrator, and under various rules (including ICC, DIS, SCC, UNCITRAL/PCA, CEPANI, GMAA, Hamburg Chamber of Commerce, and Ad hoc). As counsel he has successfully represented clients in many high-stakes arbitrations (including under ICC, DIS, SCC, KCAB, ICSID, UNCITRAL, CEAC, RUCIP and Ad hoc) and litigation proceedings in German courts. He has handled corporate, shareholder, post-M&A, joint venture, securities, energy, construction (including FIDIC contracts) and machinery, distribution, insurance, cartel, compliance, and a variety of contract, trade and other commercial disputes, as well as claims under bilateral treaties (BITs) and the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT). He has broad experience in mass litigation in the financial and insurance sector. He was appointed to the original Arbitration and Mediation pools of the Court of Arbitration for Art (CAFA) in January 2020. Dr Spangenberg has honed his oral advocy and cross-examination skills in over 300 trials and hearings.
- Dr Spangenberg has been consistently recognised in leading rankings, including JUVE, Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal for both arbitration and litigation: “He is a well-prepared arbitrator, always well structured, with good knowledge of the community”, “He demonstrates capability handling multi-jurisdictional proceedings and is well versed in many aspects of commercial law”, “Jan is enthusiastic and smart with a talent to view a case from the client perspective” “He is very thorough and smart at hearings” (WWL Arbitration 2021); “an outstanding lawyer” who is “very thorough, smart and client oriented”; he is able to “identify the main issue immediately and provide clear and helpful advice” (WWL Arbitration 2020); a “very experienced” arbitration lawyer who wins widespread praise from market sources for his “excellent” work as arbitrator and counsel (WWL Germany Arbitration 2020); “recognised by sources as an ‘exceptionally good lawyer with a lot of international experience’ who is ‘user-friendly with strong advocacy skills in arbitration’” (WWL Arbitration 2019); “The ‘excellent’ Jan Spangenberg is a talented practitioner who is highly recommended for his vast experience representing clients in high-value arbitration proceedings” (WWL Germany Arbitration 2019); “stands out as a ‘good tactician who does not shrink from going into all the details of a case’” (WWL Arbitration Future Leaders 2018); “is ‘very organized, highly pragmatic and solution-oriented’” (WWL Arbitration Future Leaders 2017); “recognised as ‘a very thorough and bright attorney’ who is ‘very articulate in the courtroom when presenting arguments’” (WWL Litigation Future Leaders 2019); “committed, fast“, “does an extremely good job as chairman in large DIS arbitrations” (JUVE 2020/2021); “excellent lawyer, outstanding in cross-examination” (JUVE 2019/2020); “demonstrates unprecedented confidence as a party representative” (JUVE 2018/2019); “dedicated and professional” (JUVE 2016/2017); “impressed me in witness examinations, already world-wise and seasoned” (JUVE 2015/2016).
- Before founding Manner Spangenberg, Dr Spangenberg practiced in the Litigation & Trial Department and International Arbitration Practice Group of the international law firm Latham & Watkins LLP. He received his Doctor of Laws in investment arbitration and studied law in Germany (Bucerius Law School) and the United States (Washington and Lee University).
- Dr Spangenberg was co-chair of DIS40, the young practitioners’ group of the German Institution of Arbitration, and participated in the committee for the revision of the 2018 DIS Arbitration Rules. He regularly speaks on international dispute resolution and arbitration topics.
- Since 2017
Founder and partner, MANNER SPANGENBERG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB
- 2009 - 2017
Associate, LATHAM & WATKINS LLP
Dr. jur., Bucerius Law School
Admitted to the Hamburg bar
Second German State Exam, Hamburg
- 2007 - 2009
Clerkships (Referendariat) in Hamburg
First German State Exam, Hamburg
LL.B. Bucerius Law School, Hamburg
Legal studies at Washington and Lee School of Law, Lexington
- 2001 - 2006
Legal studies at Bucerius Law School, Hamburg
- Hamburg Arbitration Circle
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit e.V. (DIS) (German Institution of Arbitration)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Deutche Vereinigung für Internationales Recht (DVIR) (German Branch of the International Law Association (ILA))
- DIS40 (Co-Chair - Bundeskoordinator)
- ICC YAF
- Young ICSID
- ICDR Y&I
- Der Investorbegriff und die Zuständigkeit ratione personae - Eine Untersuchung zu Inhalt und prozessualer Bedeutung des Investorbegriffs im internationalen Investitionsschutzrecht, Frankfurt am Main 2015
Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB